Located in the Chamoli district of Uttrakhand, the Roopkund trek journeys through various mysteries, mythologies, and local folklores. The roopkund trek Uttarakhand traverses to the roopkund trek height of 7,662 ft above sea level. The 10 km long roopkund trek distance, begins from a small village named Lohajung. The ride begins with an admiring natural beauty of Nanda Ghunti, Trishul, Nanda Devi, and others and Gomati River on the sides.
The Roopkund trail starts from Kathgodam, on a well-marked path to Raun Bagad. Crossing moderately mixed forests and iron bridge across the Neel Ganga River, finally arriving Didna.
The next day, get ready to continue on a meadow trail of Ali Bugyal and Bedni Bugyal. The meadow trek is just the start of this enchanting trek, as you ventures through various switchbacks and grassy oak mountains. And after a soothing walk through these meadows, you will arrive at the beautiful campsite of Patar Nachauni. Have your meals and retire for the day.
Later, the trek begins early in the morning, with an initial gain in altitude. Hike to Bhagwabasa, as you traverse through the snow line over the zigzag ascend to Kalu Vinayak. Head back after paying your homage. Further, head for the Roopkund, the following day.
See More: Brahmatal Trek
The following day, hike on the steep trail with soft snow. Leading to Roopkund. Enjoy a panoramic picture of Roop Kund Lake and the beautiful peaks surrounding it. Post spending enough time at Roopkund, start to head back to Patar Nachauni and be careful of the slippery slopes.
See More: Popular Treks in Uttarakhand
The next morning, wake up to the delicious breakfast and start your journey back to Lohajung via Wan. Traverses back through the oak forest along the great views of Mt. Trishul on your way back. Finally returning from beautiful Bugyals, Rhododendron forest, and within an hour reach Wan. Head back to Lohajung and retire for the day.
The next day as the next day marks the end of the Roopkund trek.
The Roopkund trek offers the right dose of adventure with a bunch of steep climbs and slippery but fun descents. No roller coaster can give you the adrenaline rush you get as you walk along a sharp and exposed ridge. Besides, if you want to be within the breathing space of Mount Trishul and Nanda Ghunti, this is the place to be.
Best time for Roopkund Trek
Roopkund route is only accessible for 3 to 4 months of the year because of the climatic variations. Whether you wish to journey through a thick blanket of snow or clear, vibrant fields, it is all up to you.
Roopkund trekking is best done during the summer months from April to June, and the post-monsoon months from September to November. However, the trek is strictly prohibited during the monsoon season. During that season, there are major flash floods and landslides in the region. The monsoon season begins in July.
How's the temperature during Roopkund hike?
During the months of May and June, the temperature at your campsites will range from 5°C to -1°C during the day and 3° to -4°C at night.
During the months of September and October, the temperature at your campsites will be around 6°C to 1°C during the day and 4°C to -4°C at night.
Who can do Roopkund Trek?
The difficulty level of this trek is moderate. If you aren't used to walking for long hours, then you may run short of breath very frequently. Given that, there are several steep climbs along with zig-zag rocky paths.
Switching to an active and healthier lifestyle will improve your physique and stamina. Moreover, an average hike of 5 to 6 hours is best to prepare yourself for this amazing trek. Nonetheless, for any beginner with a basic fit body, this hike is safe and possible.
Start your beautiful drive to Lohajung, you’ll pass through Bhimtal, Almora, Kausani.
The drive will take approximately 9-10 hours to complete, the route will mostly be covering the riverside area.
During the drive, enjoy the great views of peaks like Nanda Ghunti, Trishul, Nanda Devi and others.
You reach Lohajung, a small village with basic amenities. Head to your stay. Take your meal and rest for the day.
Wake up, have breakfast and start your trek over a well marked path to Raun Bagad.
You walk through the mixed forests, moderately which will take around 2-3 hours.
You will cross the iron bridge across the Neel Ganga River towards Didna.
Now the trail starts to get a little tough and you’ll get tired soon. Reach Didna, pitch your tents, take your meal and retire for the day.
Wake up, have breakfast, start your trail to Tolkaan north way.
The meadow trek will be passing through various switchbacks and grassy oak mountains and reach Tolkaan.
Take a sharp left towards the south and keep steering through the ridge and reach out to the forest of Ali Bugyal.
A couple of hours more into the trek you reach Khobal, pitch your tents here, have your breakfast and rest for the day.
Wake u have your breakfast, start your trail to Patar Nachauni, an easy straight trail for about 4 km.
The trail will keep ascending gradually, till Bedni Bugyal. Also the trek will bring you to the other side of the ridge.
Enjoy the mesmerizing sight from the ridge, a couple of more kms into the trek you will reach the campsite for the day.
Patar Nachauni is a beautiful campsite, offers great views all around. Have your meals and retire for the day.
Wake up, have breakfast and start your trek to Bhagwabasa, initially you will gain altitude and will be trekking in the snowline.
Start your early as you will be trekking on a high altitude, and you’ll require enough time to acclimatize.
Keep walking over the zig-zag ascend to Kalu Vinayak, it will take 1 & half hour to complete.
The route from Kalu Vinayak is simple and descending and will take another hour to reach Bhagwabasa campsite.
Reach the campsite, pitch your tents and enjoy your meals and retire for the day.
Start your day as early as 4 am, the snow at this time is still hard and will help you to hike through.
Roopkund is a gradual 5 km up-hill climb from Bhagwabasa, and as you hike ahead the snow starts to feel soft and the feets start to sink.
Keep walking over the steep trail to reach Roopkund, enjoy an open view of the roop kund lake with the majestic peaks all around.
Post spending enough time at Roopkund, start to head back to Patar Nachauni. Be careful of the slippery slopes.
Wake up and have your breakfast, start your journey back to Lohajung via Wan
You will cross the oak forest and the scenic beauty will amaze you. Enjoy great views of Mt. Trishul on your way back from Bedni Bugyal.
Keep descending and enjoy the Rhodederon forest, spend enough time at every stop.
You reach the river area and from there it's just 1 hour to Wan, from there return to Lohajung.
Wake up, have your breakfast, start your drive back to Kathgodam.
Trek ends here.
Before booking a cab or bus to or from Dharchula, it is advisable to contact the trek operator first as they have the local transport facility running which usually borne and shared between the trekkers.
1. Shirts / T-shirts –2/3, Jeans / Trekking Pants -2
2. Windproof jacket of decent quality (no flimsy wind cheaters please!) preferably with a hood
3. Warm and thick Fleece / Full-sleeve Woollen sweater
4. Thermal inner wear (upper & lower), Scarf/muffler (optional)
5. Woollen cap, Woollen gloves, Woollen socks & regular socks (3-4 pairs)
6. Comfortable Trekking/Hiking shoes (Waterproof shoes with a thick sole are recommended)
7. Lightweight floaters/sandals/slippers
8. Raincoat / Poncho, Small quick dry towel
9. Water bottle (sturdy ones, no empty Bisleri bottles!!)
10. Cap / Hat to keep the strong sun away from your face
11. Sun glasses (polarized/UV Protected), Walking stick / Trekking pole
12. Sunscreen Lotion, Lip Balm, Torch / Flashlight (with extra batteries)
13. Medicines, if requiring any specific medication
14. Personal toiletries
15. Day pack/small bag in case if you are planning to offload your regular backpack
16. Hand Sanitizer
17. Extra face masks
1. You will be greeted by our trek team on your arrival at Lohajung.
2. All stays included from Dharchula to Dharchula on double / triple sharing basis:
(i) Guest house on day 1 & 7.
(ii) Tents on day 2, 3,4,5,6
3. All meals included from Day 1 dinner to Day 8 breakfast. Vegetarian meals will be served throughout the trek.
4. Skilled local staff who have ample knowledge of the route
5. Hot water in buckets can be provided on request depending on availability, while staying at guest houses / home stay only.
6. All trek essentials included–
(i) Accommodation - tents, sleeping bags, sleeping mats etc.
(ii) Safety equipment - microspikes, gaiters as per requirements and basic first aid kit with a portable oxygen cylinder.
(iii) Permit - forest and camping fee included.
1. The above trek charges does not include the GST charges (5%).
2. Personal essentials -
(i) Equipment - Gumboots, trekking poles, etc.
(ii) Insurance - Personal and travel insurances.
(iii) Beverage - Mineral water bottles/bottled or canned beverages
(iv) Snacks - Chocolate, dry fruits, protein or nutrition bar.
(v) Entertainment - Camera or drone fees.
3. Transportation - The charges of transportation on day 1 and 8 are to be borne and shared between the trekkers.
4. In case if your trek remains incomplete or uninitiated because of ""force majeure"", medical emergency or by personal choice after you arrive at the starting point, you will not be able to get refund, reschedule or replace any services that remain unutilized by you.
5. Any additional cost incurred due to changes in Government Guidelines related to travel/trek/COVID-19 will be borne by the Guest.
6. Anything which is not included in Inclusion.
1. If cancellations are made 25 days prior to the start date of your trek/tour/activity, no cancellation fee will be charged.
2. If cancellations are made between 4-25 days prior to the start date of your trek/tour/activity, EITHER 75% of the total booking amount will be returned to the guest (25% of the total booking amount will be charged as cancellation fee) OR whole advance amount can be adjusted against any trek within next 12 months.
3. If cancellations are made within 4 days from the start date of your trek/tour/activity, 100% of the total booking amount will be charged as a cancellation fee.
4. If you book the tour/trek/activity by making a partial payment of the total booking amount and fail to make the 100% payment before 30 days from the date of travel. In this case, your booking will get canceled automatically and can only be reconfirmed once you make the full payment, depending on the availability of slots.
5. In case if your tour/trek/activity remains incomplete or uninitiated because of "force majeure", medical emergency, government policy changes, local strikes, or by personal choice after you arrive at the starting point, you will not be able to get a refund, reschedule or replace any services that remain underutilized by you.
6. Cancellations are strictly subjected to cancellation policies mentioned on the website & are irrespective of the date of booking.
7. The applicable refund amount will be processed within 10 business days.
Average Rating 4.5