Pindari and Kafni Glacier Trek is the complete journey that an adventurous group of people should look for. Pindari glacier trek with Kafni glacier trek is a perfect combination of two of the most popular and scenic treks in the Kumaon region. This trek offers great views of the famous peaks and sometimes a small walk to the glaciers. In this trek, you hike with the beautiful views all around and the final destinations are the glaciers, You get enough time to traverse through the glaciers.
Day by day you go closer to the Pindari & Kafni Glaciers with slowly ascending and covering the hospitality of the local village, some of them are big such as the Khati village where you can pay and enjoy the electricity through generators. This trek will pass you through the dense forest of Rhododendron and Oak, you will be crossing the wooden bridges, you walk with the stream, and at some part of the trek, you cross the frozen stream.
Also See: Kedarkantha Trek
The route also holds an ancient history, as the route was used as a trade route between India and Tibet for centuries. The First Deputy Commissioner of Kumaon, GW Traill, studied a shorter path from Pindari Glacier to Martoli in Milam Valley in 1830.
The Pindari Glacier Trek route takes you through the Pindari icefall and over Traill's Pass (17,700 feet). The explorations of Schlagintweits (1850), Ruttledge (1926), the Japanese Mt. Nanda Kot Expedition team (1936), Osmaston and the surveyors (1938), Arnold Heim (1937), and S.S Khera followed (1941).
Also See: Popular Treks in Uttarakhand
This trek is best suited for a group of friends and also good for the families and you can bring your children to this trek as the trek will never ask for a very perfect fitness standard.
Best time for Pindari & Kafni Glacier Trekking
Mid-March to mid-June is the greatest time to explore the Pindari glacier because it is summer and the Pindari Glacier weather stays pleasant for hikers. This trek can also be enjoyed from September to late October, as it is the spring season.
Trekkers should avoid the months of June to September because of severe rain, road closures, and, in the worst-case scenario, landslides. Because it will be unpleasant and dangerous during the rainy season, the trek will be closed.
What's the temperature at Pindari & Kafni Glacier Trek?
During the months of April and May, the temperature at your campsites will range from 15°C to 20°C during the day and 7° to 2°C at night.
During the months from September to November, the pindari glacier temperature ranges around 15°C to 10°C during the day and 5°C to -5°C at the night.
Pindari & Kafni Glacier Trek difficulty level
The Pindari Glacier Trek is an easy hike in Uttarakhand's Kumaon area. The journey has well-defined paths with only one minor pass crossing and has everything an avid hiker expects in a trek. For starters, there are flat hikes through tranquil rhododendron forests, which are home to a variety of rare birds. Then there are the many mountain ridges, spider walls, and stream crossings to contend with.
Besides, the Kumaon Himalayas is home to a landscape that has inspired numerous artists, and is undoubtedly a pleasure for all trekkers and mountaineers. The Pindari Glacier walk is one of those hikes that will leave you speechless as you take in the scenery. You can also go on a tour of the local villages to learn more about their culture and traditions. Stunning water bodies and attractive wooden bridges add to the allure of the walk, making it even more enjoyable.
Before booking a cab or bus to or from Loharkhet, it is advisable to contact the trek operator first as they have the local transport facility running which usually borne and shared between the trekkers.
1. You will be greeted by our trek team on your arrival at Loharkhet.
2. All stays included from Loharkhet to Dhakuri on sharing basis:
(i) Guest house on day 1
(ii) Tents from Day 2 to 8
3. All meals included from Day 1 dinner to Day 9 breakfast. Vegetarian meals will be served throughout the trek.
4. Skilled local staff who have ample knowledge of the route
5. Hot water in buckets can be provided on request depending on availability, while staying at guest houses only.
6. All trek essentials included–
(i) Accommodation - tents, sleeping bags, sleeping mats etc
(ii) Safety equipment - microspikes, gaiters as per requirements and basic first aid kit with a portable oxygen cylinder.
(iii) Permit - forest and camping fee included.
1. The above trek charges does not include the GST charges (5%).
2. Personal essentials -
(i) Equipment - Gumboots, trekking poles, etc.
(ii) Insurance - Personal and travel insurances.
(iii) Beverage - Mineral water bottles/bottled or canned beverages
(iv) Snacks - Chocolate, dry fruits, protein or nutrition bar.
(v) Entertainment - Camera or drone fees.
3. Transportation - The charges of transportation on day 1 and 9 are to be borne and shared between the trekkers.
4. In case if your trek remains incomplete or uninitiated because of "force majeure", medical emergency or by personal choice after you arrive at the starting point, you will not be able to get refund, reschedule or replace any services that remain unutilized by you.
5. Any additional cost incurred due to changes in Government Guidelines related to travel/trek/COVID-19 will be borne by the Guest.
6. Anything which is not included in Inclusion.
1. If cancellations are made 25 days prior to the start date of your trek/tour/activity, no cancellation fee will be charged.
2. If cancellations are made between 4-25 days prior to the start date of your trek/tour/activity, EITHER 75% of the total booking amount will be returned to the guest (25% of the total booking amount will be charged as cancellation fee) OR whole advance amount can be adjusted against any trek within next 12 months.
3. If cancellations are made within 4 days from the start date of your trek/tour/activity, 100% of the total booking amount will be charged as a cancellation fee.
4. If you book the tour/trek/activity by making a partial payment of the total booking amount and fail to make the 100% payment before 30 days from the date of travel. In this case, your booking will get canceled automatically and can only be reconfirmed once you make the full payment, depending on the availability of slots.
5. In case if your tour/trek/activity remains incomplete or uninitiated because of "force majeure", medical emergency, government policy changes, local strikes, or by personal choice after you arrive at the starting point, you will not be able to get a refund, reschedule or replace any services that remain underutilized by you.
6. Cancellations are strictly subjected to cancellation policies mentioned on the website & are irrespective of the date of booking.
7. The applicable refund amount will be processed within 10 business days.
Average Rating 4.5