Winter Ladakh Drive
Winter In Ladakh - Ever dreamt to pursue an expedition to spot the magnificent Snow Leopards? Wait in disguise to click just a perfect photo of breathtaking snow leopards with massive snow-capped mountains in the backdrop and get an incredible set of Ladakh images in winters? and looking for Ladakh Tour, Trip, Package? Well, this trip is all about that!
Also See: Chadar Trek
If Ladakh has to be imagined, one can imagine it as a land of huge barren mountains looking like a large heap of grains and sand, massive open grounds with patches of trees and meadows almost looking like a mountaineer desert, and high altitudes road stretching to infinity. Isn’t this image kind of too typical of summers? But what about winters? Though it is almost unbearable to picture oneself walking through the blood-freezing temperature, but isn’t it interesting to think how the Ladakh trip in December would really look like in the cold chilling winters?
That is why we are here with one of a kind trip across the continents to not leave you with an idea of the imagination but give you a rare chance to drive through the awe-inspiring snow covered Ladakh in winters. To sit comfortably in a heated car, with a set of craziest people and experience the best of Ladakh in - 20 degree celsius is itself a life achieving experience. If you have got the guts to make the harsh winters more than your friend and explore the uncharted territories of an alien land, Ladakh winter tour is just for you.
Also See: Popular Treks in Kashmir & Ladakh
Are you someone who always wished to explore the winters of Leh Ladakh but couldn’t because of some physical issue? Or maybe you always had an idea of taking an expedition with comfort and warmth. No more than taking the pain of walking for several days, lumping on the enormous weight of the luggage, risking your life over nothing, to trek to a place which is easily accessible by an ever-adventurous road trip. Why not do something with utmost comfortability and reliability than taking a huge pain to do the same thing?
Ladakh in the winter season offers you an opposite landscape in comparison to what summers offer. Mountains dress themselves in pure white color, sparkling lakes turn into a frozen land to skid and skate, easy nice roads turn into a slippery slack of ice sheets, and summer patches of meadows perish under the harsh temperature of snowy winters. Where summer attracts several sets of tourists meandering all over the region, winters turn Ladakh into a quiet region with almost negligible amount of people daring to venture out in the dreary land.
One of the most astonishing things to witness during the winters in Ladakh is the colors of dawn and dusk. The usual tangerine turns into comforting yellow gradually swallowing first the peaks, the foothills and then disappearing in the mist of glittering snow. Another speciality of Ladakh during the winter season is the sights of monstrous stupas. Also known as artificial glaciers and a major source of water in the summers, they were invented by the famous scientist Sonam Wangchuk.
Stupas are also a place to visit and get to know about a mechanism which is too foreign to any other place in India. If you are visiting Ladakh at the right time, you can actually witness the competition of Stupa climbing. Ladakh organises several competitions especially related to these stupas. Even these stupas are erected as a part of huge competition and a Ladakh festival. Wouldn’t it be interesting to drink a hot cup of coffee in one of the stupa cafes and talk about bizarre stories of life? That’s how charming Ladakh can be!
The entire road trip will take you through various renowned places in winter Ladakh such as Hall of Fame, Pather Sahib Gurudwara, Ulley, Chilling, Tangste, KharDung La (Khar Dung La), Pangong Lake and Chang La pass. But more than the visits to these sites, the journey on the adventurous roads with amazing stories will stay etched forever in your hearts. With a perfect atmosphere of comfort and warmth, all you have to do is just sit back, relax and witness the impossible natural beauty of Ladakh.
Though people usually believe that the best time to visit Ladakh is in early summers with pleasant weather, but we believe winters with Ladakh temperature of - 20 degree celsius and abundance of snowfall in Ladakh will leave you bewildered with the beauty it offers and nothing of summers can match to snowy cold December. Come, book yourself the most suitable Leh, Ladakh winter package and start on a journey nothing less than an actual paradise on earth.
Moustache believes in the vision of 'Affordable travelling'. We believe that our packages should be tailored in such a manner that it can be affordable to all the people who want to explore the adventures and thrills of our incredible India. Hence we provide you with the cheapest packages with maximum chance to enjoy. Also, Moustache understands the gravity of the Covid crisis, therefore keeps the most flexible cancellation and rescheduling policy.
Welcome to Leh! Today is an important day for you. It is recommended that you be prepared for a sudden gush of a heavy cold. Pack your shoulder bags in such a way that just before entering Leh, you put on your warm sweater and jackets to protect yourself from the harsh cold environment. Winter in Ladakh can be little harsh, please be mindful of that
After you have arrived at the airport, check-in at the guest house/homestay, and settle yourself down. You must keep the rising temperature in mind, Leh will be much colder from whatever place you will be coming from.
Take this day solely to acclimatize yourself against the temperature and oxygen level. Leh is at a very high altitude because of which the oxygen level is not the same as any other place in India. Please stay in your room and try to lay down for a while. At this point, your body will need to adjust to the new atmosphere.
Once settled down, you have your delicious hot dinner waiting for you. Enjoy the warmth of the food in such a cold environment. We are sure, you will absolutely love it!
Today is the day when your real trip starts. It’s going to be a very cold atmosphere and the temperature is going to be very low. Be prepared to shiver too! After waking up and getting ready, come for a nice hot breakfast to kick start your day. The entire day is going to be a spectacular scenic drive from Leh to Ulley via chilling.
Once the drive starts, the first thing you are going to visit is the Hall of Fame, a museum constructed by the Indian army in memory of soldiers who laid down their lives defending motherland in Indo - Pak war. It’s a powerful experience to witness the hall of fame.
After the Hall of Fame, we will drive through the famous Pather Sahib Gurudwara. It’s a beautiful and peaceful place to visit. It is entirely up to you if you want to stop and do a short visit to the Gurudwara. After Gurudwara, our route will also cross through the renowned Magnetic hill. Though there is nothing other than white snow, snow, and snow.
During the journey from Hall of Fame to Gurudwara Pather Sahib, spot the Spituk Gompa on your right side, which was built in the 15th century.
Once you have seen the Gurudwara and the magnetic hill, we will proceed towards the confluence point where the famous Zanskar river and Indus river meet. Honestly, it’s a sight to behold.
The best part is that the Zanskar river will be sparkling with frozen water. As far as you can see, the river will be glittering. If you want, we can also stop here to give you some rest and refreshing air. This is the place where the popular Chadar trek start. Go explore the river for a while and experience how it feels to walk over a frozen river. It’s just amazing!
Our next stop is Ulley. We will drive through chilling and cross a bridge to reach the other part of Leh. Ulley, famous for being the highest village of western Ladakh and is a place to spot the astonishing snow leopards. Though usually, one has to trek to a very high mountain to seek a chance to spot a snow leopard, that’s the speciality of this tour. It gives you a chance to spot them right in the city.
Once you have reached Ulley, settle yourself in your given homestay. The temperature is going to be very low and the air will be freaky cold. It will be good if you can directly eat your warm food and get under the warm blanket in the room.
Stay Included: Stay in Homestay on a sharing basis.
Get excited! Today’s the day for you to bring out your attentiveness and be strong to find a snow leopard. The entire day is dedicated to this adventure. First of all, wake to pleasant yet cold weather. Devour the tasty breakfast and get dressed.
Our driver will take you through the special spots where you can actually spot the leopards. It is important that you keep utmost patience and cooperate with the driver to enjoy the tour. The chances to spot the leopards are slightly higher in the winters, but we do not guarantee you the same.
More than the spotting, the adventure which it holds is really fun to enjoy. Go around, explore the art of spotting the rarest wildlife, and if you were able to do, don’t forget to bring some amazing stories to share with us
Once you have enjoyed the adventure and we hope you were able to spot the leopard, drive back your homestays, and get settled under a warm blanket. Just to remark, these blankets feel like heaven in winters of Leh. Enjoy the warmth of them! End your day with a nice meal and a hot cup of tea.
Today we are going to take another scenic drive from Ulley to Leh via Khardung La. Guess what, Khardung La is the highest motorable road in the world which gives you an amazing view of the entire Himalayas. After you have done your luscious breakfast, get ready to start.
The best thing about your tour is that unlike others who might risk to ride a bike through this road and put their lives at risk, you won’t have to. The car ride gives you an equal amount of adventure and fun, just like any bike ride. You will be amazed to see the astonishing beauty of Leh. You might spot several small cafes to enjoy a hot cup of coffee and a steaming plate of delicious Maggi. Grab them, if possible.
After you reach Leh and have enjoyed enough of Himalayan beauty, we will proceed towards the Shanti Stupa. You will see Shanti stupa is the most peaceful place in the entire world. Another speciality of the Shanti stupa is the view from that height. You will be able to see the entire Ladakh from there. Seep in the tranquillity.
After the Shanti Stupa, visit Leh palace which was built by the royals of the 17th century and was made abandoned by the royals of the 19th century, the palace has a rich collection of artifacts which has a separate place in the history of Leh.
We are sure, you must be tired after visiting the famous Leh Palace. Drive back to your designated homestay and retire for the day. Also, enjoy the hot dinner too!
We understand that yesterday’s trip might have been a little exhausting, but try waking up as early as possible. Winter sunsets in Leh are a delight to capture. One shouldn’t miss it!
If you were able to catch the sunset, kudos to you! After that, grab your tasty hot breakfast and buckle up to drive down to the 3rd highest motorable road in the world with an elevation of 17,590 ft.
Visit the Chang La baba temple and have some tea or coffee at the nearest army operated cafe.
Today we will be driving to the famous Pangong Tso lake. Ever seen the charming ending of the movie - 3 idiots? You fancy not swimming but walking on that lake? Then today is the day. Unlike the summers, in winters the Pangong Tso lake freezes to the last extent you can see it. Go explore the sturdy ice sheets of the lake. Please be advised, not to put on a lot of pressure or explore without asking the guide.
After spending enough time at the Pangong, head to Tangste for the shelter of the night, enjoy the hot meal served, and retire for the day.
Pangong Tso lake must have been a delight to walk on. Wake up to a spine chilling morning and do your luscious breakfast. Today we are going to take the same route as Chang La pass. While you are driving back, you will pass the same things you have already seen. If you want we can again revisit a few things.
Do not forget to click the best photos possible. Leh in winters looks like a bride clothed with sparkling snow.
After crossing the mighty Chang La Pass head to Thiksey Gompa, which is one of the largest monasteries of the Ladakh region. The monastery has wall paintings of Buddha, religious texts, stupas, and the largest statue of Buddha in Ladakh.
After spending enough time at Thikshey, on your way back visit the Shey Palace and Gompa, it has the Gold plated copper statue of Shakyamuni Buddha and was the royal residence of the rulers of the place.
After an astounding journey from Tangste to Leh, share your amazing stories of the roads and the places you visited. After a good heavy dinner, get under your warm and comfortable blanket and have a good night.
We hope you had a nice last night at the magnificent Leh. Here our journey comes to an end. We sincerely thank you for trusting us and coming on a spectacular trip to winter Leh. We hope to you super soon for yet another thrilling adventure.
The tour ends here
1. Shirts / T-shirts –2/3, Jeans
2. Windproof jacket of decent quality (no flimsy wind cheaters please!) preferably with a hood
3. Warm and thick Fleece / Full-sleeve Woollensweater
4. Thermal inner wear (upper & lower), Scarf/muffler (optional)
5. Down jacket or synthetic jacket for the top layer.
6. Woollen cap, Woollen gloves, Woollen socks & regular socks (3-4 pairs)
7. Comfortable Hiking shoes (Waterproof shoes with a thick sole are recommended)
8. Lightweight floaters/sandals/slippers
9. Raincoat / Poncho, Small quick-dry towel
10. Water bottle (sturdy ones, no empty Bisleribottles!!)
11. Cap / Hat to keep the strong sun away from your face
12. Sun glasses (polarized/UV Protected)
13. Sunscreen Lotion, Lip Balm, Torch / Flashlight (with extra batteries)
14. Medicines, if requiring any specific medication
15. Personal toiletries
16. Hand Sanitizer
17. Extra face masks
1. You will be greeted by our tour team with a welcome drink on your arrival to Leh guest house.
2. All stays included from Leh to Leh in guest house / homestay on sharing basis
3. All meals included on MAP basis.
4. Skilled local driver cum guide who has the ample knowledge of the route.
5. Hot water buckets can be provided on request depending on the supply.
6. All Leh sightseeing and tour transfers in MUV / SUV is included in the tour fees.
7. Parking fees, toll charges and driver fee is included in the package.
8. Covid Related Information
1. The above tour charges do not include the GST charges (5%).
2. Any kind of travel or personal insurance is not included in the package.
3. Entry fees, camera fees, drone fees of any monument, museum, palace or any attraction points are not included in the package.
4. ILP fee is not included in the package and has to be paid by the travelers on the spot.
5. In case if your tour remains incomplete or uninitiated because of "force majeure", medical emergency or by personal choice after you arrive at the starting point, you will not be able to get refund, reschedule or replace any services that remain unutilized by you.
6. Any additional cost incurred due to changes in Government Guidelines related to travel/tour/COVID-19 will be borne by the Guest.
7. Airport transfers are not included in the package.
8. Anything which is not included in Inclusion.
1. If cancellations are made 26 days prior to the start date of your trek/tour/activity, no cancellation fee will be charged.
2. If cancellations are made between 8-25 days prior to the start date of your trek/tour/activity, 25% of the total package amount will be charged as cancellation fee.
3. If cancellations and rescheduling are made within 7 days from the start date of your trek/tour/activity, 100% of the total booking amount will be charged as a cancellation fee.
4. Guest can reschedule the tour/trek/activity between 8-25 days prior to the start date of your trek/tour/activity (Depending on the availability), after this period no rescheduling can be done and no amount can be refunded.
5. Rescheduling of the tour/trek/activity is applicable only once, after that if you want to cancel or reschedule the trek/tour/activity again, it will not be possible and no refund will be processed.
6. If you book the tour/trek/activity by making a partial payment of the total booking amount and fail to make the 100% payment before 26 days from the date of travel. In this case, your booking will get canceled automatically and can only be reconfirmed once you make the full payment, depending on the availability of slots.
7. In case if your tour/trek/activity remains incomplete or uninitiated because of "force majeure", medical emergency, government policy changes, local strikes, or by personal choice after you arrive at the starting point, you will not be able to get a refund, reschedule or replace any services that remain underutilized by you.
8. In case if your tour/trek/activity gets cancelled because of "force majeure", medical emergency, government policy changes, local strikes between 0-7 days from your date of travel, you will be eligible to reschedule the date of your trek/tour/activity or you can get a credit note of the amount paid, however no cash refund will be possible in this case.
9. Cancellations are strictly subjected to cancellation policies mentioned on the website & are irrespective of the date of booking.
10. The applicable refund amount will be processed within 10 business days.
Average Rating 4.5